Fentanyl-Laced Gummies Poison Virginia Elementary School Kids
In a shocking incident at Central Elementary School in Virginia, a routine lunch among fourth-grade students turned into a public health emergency. Seven students fell ill after unknowingly consuming gummy bears laced with the deadly opioid fentanyl.
The crisis began when students shared gummy bears during lunch. The kids who ate the candy immediately began to show symptoms of drug poisoning. Amherst County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Dallas Hill told reporters, “The sickened students developed symptoms that included nausea, vomiting, headache, and muscle spasms.”
Elementary School Students Hospitalized After Eating Fentanyl-Laced Candyhttps://t.co/XbZqir3Shd
— KenMatthews (@KenMatthews) December 13, 2023
Investigations quickly focused on the source of the gummies. A critical discovery was made when a field test kit indicated fentanyl in the gummies’ bag. This finding led authorities to execute a search warrant at a residence in Amherst County, marking a crucial development in the case.
The investigation resulted in the arrests of Clifford Dugan, 50, and Nicole Sanders, 26. Dugan faces additional charges of felony firearm possession, while Sanders was charged with possession of scheduled narcotics. These arrests underscore the legal consequences of endangering children’s safety.
In response to the incident, school officials and community members voiced their concerns. School Superintendent William Wells stated, “This is not a school issue, the fentanyl came from somebody’s house.” He emphasized the need for parental vigilance. The school district announced plans to reinforce its policy against sharing food and to continue emphasizing drug awareness.
The incident profoundly affected the students and their families. Kristina Wright, the mother of one of the students, expressed her relief and ongoing concern: “Hayden is home, the tests all came back normal with no traces of fentanyl thank God.” Hayden, one of the affected students, shared his harrowing experience: “When I was in the ambulance, I was really scared. They could, like, barely put my things on because I was shaking so much.”
“I ask our parents to take charge. It’s here and it’s real,” urged Superintendent Wells, calling for increased awareness and responsibility among parents and caregivers to prevent such incidents in the future.
As investigations continue and parents and the school look for increased measures to protect student safety, this incident reminds all Americans of the vigilance needed to protect the youngest and most vulnerable from the scourge of fentanyl flooding across the country’s open and unsecured southern border.